Creamy Corn Soup with Crispy Bacon
|Prep Time||15 minutes|
|Cook Time||1 hour|
1 1/3 cups
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 can reduced-sodium chicken broth 14.5 ounces
- 2 cups frozen whole kernel corn thawed
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dried thyme, crushed
- 4 slices lower-sodium, less fat bacon crisp-cooked and crumbled (optional)
- In a 4-qt. Dutch oven melt butter over medium. Add the next five ingredients (through salt); cook 10 minutes or until vegetables are softened, stirring occasionally. If desired, remove about 1/2 cup of the vegetables to use as a topper. Stir flour into the remaining vegetables. Cook and stir 1 minute more.
- Gradually whisk in milk and broth. Stir in corn, thyme, and bay leaves. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; cool 10 minutes.
- Remove and discard thyme sprigs and bay leaves. Using an immersion blender, blend soup until smooth. (Or working in batches, transfer soup to a blender; cover and blend until smooth. Return all of the soup to Dutch oven.) Heat through. Top servings with the reserved vegetables, crumbled bacon, and if desired, black pepper.
Share this Recipe