|Prep Time||15 minutes|
|Cook Time||3 hours|
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 can no-salt added, fire-roasted diced tomatoes 14 oz. can
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup chopped orange bell pepper
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbsp italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 6 oz whole-wheat rotini pasta
- 1/2 cup Grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley plus more for garnish
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
- Combine chicken, tomatoes, broth, onion, bell pepper, garlic, Italian seasoning, pepper, salt, crushed red pepper and bay leaf in a 4-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on High until the chicken is tender and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the chicken registers 165 degrees F, about 3 hours. Remove and discard the bay leaf. Transfer the chicken to a plate; let rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir pasta into the mixture in the slow cooker; cover and cook on High until the pasta is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Coarsely shred the chicken and stir it back into the soup, along with basil and parsley. Ladle the soup evenly into 6 bowls; sprinkle with Parmesan and garnish with parsley, if desired.
Share this Recipe